Friday 24 February 2017

Grad Profile: Ashleigh Mulholland

Ashleigh Mulholland

When did you first discover an interest in Advertising?

My interest really sparked for advertising in my final year of high school. I was asked to create a new product for the Tim Hortons menu and execute our idea in the form of a poster. I chose smoothies as the new menu item (this was not an option at the time), and felt this sense of excitement while completing the project. Everything from coming up with a tagline/persuasive copy to presenting the idea to the class was really fun for me. It was then that I knew one day I wanted a future in this industry – except at that point, I wasn’t sure how to do it. 




Sheridan

Why did you choose Sheridan?

After high school, I pursued university experience and headed off to Western to study sociology and psychology, which - to my surprise - offered a couple of classes that applied to the ad industry. I realized that I still wanted to pursue my advertising career after graduating, and it was during the earlier half of my 4th year that I started to do my research as to where I could start. 

Since I was earning my degree, I knew that a post graduate certificate would be ideal. So I looked into Sheridan College and the Advertising Account Management Program – located in Oakville at the time. My first impression was how well rounded the topics to be learned were. Each course focuses on various touch-points of the campaign process – from creative all the way to execution. 

What did you learn from Sheridan?

This is a tough question because I could probably spend hours reminiscing on the range of learning experiences throughout my 8 month post-grad. To put it simply, I learned that advertising offers a variety of paths (regarding jobs) you can choose to dive into. Although each direction has its own unique purpose, they interact together, eventually leading to an amazing outcome – the ability to connect with your audience. 

I’ve always thought of advertising as 1 job; you have this product, now persuade your audience to buy it. What I didn’t fully understand was the amount of creative and strategic work put into that, and this is what was so valuable about Sheridan. Having to pull together a full creative campaign along with a pitch presentation really gave us students an idea of what the scope of work in the real world is like, as well as an idea of how to address the challenges that come along with it. 
Cossette

Where was your co-op placement?

I was fortunate enough to secure a 4-month co-op placement at an ad agency called Cossette in Liberty Village, with one of my fellow classmates & close friend from Sheridan. It was an amazing experience in which I set a great foundation for my current & future career in the industry. 


Ashleigh Mulholland

What did you learn from your co-op placement?

Looking back on my internship, I’ve definitely learned that time management is a huge asset. Setting priorities for each and every task allows you to make sure the most important thing for the client is completed effectively and in a timely manner. My job required a lot of competitive research and extracting important consumer insights from the fast food environment. With that, I’ve learned that in this industry, and for whatever account I should ever work for, that thinking in the mindset of the client will lead to meaningful work. 





What was the #1 thing you took away from your post grad experience?

I’d have to say that within the Advertising Account Management program itself, a knowledge in Advertising can apply to a variety of jobs – not just an ad agency. Understanding how media planning, creative design, marketing and communications intertwine is beneficial in a variety of avenues within the workplace. I know that I will take the practical skills I’ve learned into any job that comes my way. 

How has the completion of the program affected your career?

The completion of this program not only applies directly to my career, it quite literally launched it.  Sheridan gave me a well rounded foundation that allowed me, and fellow alumni, to stand out and be recognized. I assure any prospective student that Sheridan will have the same positive impact on your future career.

Where do you work and what is your current position?

I currently work as an Account Coordinator for a branding agency called Pigeon Brands, specializing in design and developing brand stories for a variety of clients, such as Tim Hortons, Kraft and IKEA. I am thrilled to call Sheridan the place where my career began. I would not be where I am today without the support and knowledge that I’ve gained from the Advertising Account Management program. 

Pigeon Brands




No comments:

Post a Comment