Monday 5 June 2017

Grad Profile: Tim Sarrazin

Tim Sarrazin
Cossette Media



When did you first discover an interest in Advertising?


My first interest really began when I studied Marketing at Sheridan.  I took the three-year program and went to work straight out of school for a medium size B2B business.  I had a large hand in their advertising (from working with the in-house photographer to booking ads) and that made me take a longer look at focusing my marketing background to hone in on advertising specifically.

Why did you choose Sheridan?


Funny enough, as I was starting to build a heightened interest in advertising, Sheridan sent me a letter inviting me to apply for their inaugural Advertising Post Graduate program.  My first experience with Sheridan had been great, so I decided to return for a second round and focus on specializing my education.  Sheridan armed me with the right working skills my first time around, so I knew it was a great place to return to.

What did you learn from Sheridan?


I think the main thing I learned was that I didn’t really know what I wanted to do in advertising.  I had visions of being some creative art directing genius, but the more I learned and worked with professors, I started to realize that I would be better suited for Media and Strategy.  That was where my creativity could flow most organically and get the best production out of myself.  Sheridan taught me more about myself than I actually knew about what I wanted to do in my career.

What was the #1 thing you took away from your post-grad experience?


More so after my experience, I realized how small this industry can be.  Our post grad class was about 20 people, and I’ve worked directly with 4 of those people, so 20% of my classmates I’ve had direct business relations with.  Building relationships starting in the classroom are important because, directly or not, you’ll be moving up in this industry together and you haven’t seen the last of anyone.  That sounds so dire, but it’s fantastic to still be in touch with so many people you went to school with years later.

What advice would you give to someone who is considering a post grad program?


Don’t come in with a set mind about what role you want to do.  There are many different roles in advertising stemming from creative, to accounts, to media (and even subsets within those groups). You need to be open minded about the careers out there and take the time to learn and see what career might be best for you.

How has the completion of the Program affected your career?


I alluded to it earlier, but Sheridan does such a great job at arming you with the right tools to get off on the right foot.  I started in a junior role in Montréal and in my interview, they were shocked at how many industry computer programs I was already versed in.  Not every school offers that to their students.  Additionally, the fact that all my profs had at one point worked in the industry, gave us a better understanding of what to expect in the workplace.

Where do you work and what is your current position?

I am currently a Senior Digital Planner at Cossette Media.  I’ve been with Cossette for about 18 months.

What is your favourite part of the job?

Hard question, but I think my favourite part is helping clients solve their problem and make sure they are hitting their business goals.  The best part of media is challenging yourself to understand the true business outcome for your clients, coming up with strategic thinking to get there and finding the right ways to execute their plan.  People often don’t realize how creative you can be with media planning, especially when you’ve really hit on the clients objective.

Cossette



No comments:

Post a Comment