Friday 13 April 2018

Student Profile: Alex Tran

     Where did you complete your Undergrad Degree/Diploma and in what subject area?

I completed my Bachelor Degree in International Business at Foreign Trade University in Vietnam. 

     When did you first discover an interest in Advertising?

I had some experience working with clients before entering the program at Sheridan. My experience with clients made me both curious, and excited about the agency world, so here I am.

     Why did you choose Sheridan’s Advertising Account Management Post Graduate Program?

Through online research, I discovered that Sheridan is a well-recognized institution for Advertising. I believed having “Sheridan Grad” on my resume would be a great advantage. And the school has a co-op program, which provides hands-on experience in an agency right after graduation. 

How are you finding your experience at Sheridan?

Above and beyond my expectations.

So far, I have gained a lot of knowledge and working skills in media, account management and creative. Professors are enthusiastic in getting us ready to work in the agency environment immediately following graduation. 
   
Sheridan HMC

The second semester involves the most exciting project. We developed a Christmas campaign for Canadian Tire. We received the actual brief from Canadian Tire, built the campaign with support from professors, and presented our campaign plan directly to TAXI, Canadian Tire’s agency partner. It was no longer just a classroom activity; we were already being involved in a real agency, directly through the program.

 I also had numerous opportunities to meet and network with professionals in the industry. Some days, we met with managers from TAXI in the morning and spoke with a guest speaker from Google in the evening. Be ready for that. 

The program also has Cooperative Education services where you meet with an experienced consultant to polish your resume. There are also classes to polish our professional image and interview skills. Internship opportunities are offered to Sheridan Advertising Account Management Grads from big agencies such as MediaCom, Mindshare, TAXI, Dentsu and more! I had my internship offer at the end of the first semester with a big client, Top 100 Employer in Canada, and my classmate got an offer from IPG a few weeks later. Kudos to Sheridan’s Post Grad Advertising Program!


What advice would you give to someone who is considering our post grad program?

You are on the right track to a career in Advertising and Marketing. I believe if you have the enthusiasm to learn and explore, are open minded and have a passion for advertising, this Program will take you to meet your horizons. Think big but be willing to start small. The professors, the school staff, and great classmates will be there to help you be ready for the advertising game.

No comments:

Post a Comment