Monday 3 April 2017

Grad Profile: Roya Hakami

Roya Hakami

When did you first discover an interest in Advertising?


To be honest, my interest in advertising came a little later on for me. After I graduated from Western University with a specialization in film studies, I realized that as much as I love the arts, I wanted a more stable career. That’s when a few people I spoke to recommended that I look into a career in the advertising industry as it would give me the opportunity to be creative while growing in a steady career.

Why did you choose Sheridan?

I chose Sheridan because it was recommended by a few people in the industry. I had gone to university and felt that I had grown as an analytical thinker. I was ready to develop hands-on skills in a fast-paced environment. I liked the idea that I would go into a job pre-trained instead of going in clueless and stumbling to figure it out.

What did you learn from Sheridan?

I learned a lot from Sheridan. I learned that I wanted to be a copywriter. I learned about all sides of the industry: what an accounts person does, the impact a media buy can make on a campaign, and how the industry is constantly changing to name a few. I also learned a good deal about strategy and how no good creative can exist without a good strategy.

What was the #1 thing you took away from your post grad experience?

The #1 thing I took away from my post grad experience was the understanding of how an agency works and how to work in an agency. I felt that going into my internship in accounts services, I knew what my responsibilities were and those of the other roles. As a copywriter, I understand more of the other agency roles which helps me work with others.

What advice would you give to someone who is considering a post grad program?

I would say go for it. The year flies by and it really helps you figure out what you want to do. You also have a great opportunity to meet people in your industry and get connected.

How has the completion of the Program affected your career? 

My path was a little different than those of my classmates as I ended up on the creative side. The program taught me that I wanted to pursue a career as a copywriter in the advertising industry. Even though I did switch sides, my experience at Sheridan helps me everyday when it comes to working with strategy, accounts and understanding media.

Mass Minority

Where do you work and what is your current position?

I work at Mass Minority and I am a copywriter / content creator. Basically, I get to write and come up with ideas all day and get paid for it. For me, it doesn’t get any better than that!

What is your favourite part of the job?

My favourite part of the job is seeing my work come to life. My partner, Marina Khouzam (Art Director) and I, recently created an anti-racism campaign and to see our posters up and the commercial on TV was really thrilling. I also felt really grateful to work on something that can make a difference and has a strong message behind it. I also got to create talking sandwiches, so that was pretty cool too.



No comments:

Post a Comment