Monday 17 April 2017

Grad Profile: Todd Bennie

Todd Bennie

When did you first discover an interest in Advertising?

While completing my BA at Brock University, I took a marketing research class and it was actually one of the few classes that I wouldn’t miss (it sounds so boring but it was a great class!). I knew from there that I wanted to pursue a career in advertising or marketing. 

Why did you choose Sheridan?

I did what any student should do – research, research and more research.  I found that Sheridan had a great reputation with an outstanding advertising program.  I then attended an in-person information session where I met Peggy Barnwell (advertising professor and program coordinator) and I knew instantly this program was for me.

What did you learn from Sheridan?

I learned the ins and outs of the advertising industry from well experienced professors that had worked in the field for years. Coming from university, it was a nice change to actually get hands on and practical experience. Sheridan really set me up for success as I started my career.

What was the #1 thing you took away from your post-grad experience?

One of the most important things I learned was that networking is one of the most important things you can do for your career.  We’ve all heard that ‘the advertising industry is so small’ – it truly is!  Being able to meet people, have intelligent and insightful conversations and building a relationship with those in the industry, is key to opening doors down the road.

What advice would you give to someone who is considering a post-grad program?

I personally think that a post graduate program is the perfect step after completing a degree or diploma. It gives you that additional advantage and confidence as you head into the work force.  It’s only a 1 year program – what is another year after completing a degree or diploma? It will set you up for a successful career. 

BMO

Where do you work and what is your current position?

I’m currently an advertising manager at BMO on the brand and sponsorship team for North America. I previously worked at john st. for 3+ years as an account supervisor and account executive.

How has the completion of the program affected your career?

The advertising post graduate program gave me the foundation and confidence to kick start my career. The hands-on experience made me feel confident and comfortable when I started working in the industry.

Canadian Marketing Awards

Have you received any awards?

I have, well actually I haven’t won them – but rather I’ve had the opportunity to be a part of an amazing team that has produced some award winning work. We’ve won a bunch of Canadian Marketing Awards, Marketing Magazine Awards and Agency of the Year award (among others).

What is your favourite part of the job?

Advertising employs some of the best folks that I’ve had the opportunity to work with. Besides just wonderful people, one of the things I love about advertising today is the constant change in our strategies and tactics for how we advertise and reach consumers. We are always looking for new ways to evolve and talk to our consumers which makes the job exciting. Staying abreast with how the industry changes means that learning and educating yourself is something that you always have to do, even after your post graduate program. 


No comments:

Post a Comment